simpdftex_dpmx, dvipdfmx: dvips+ps2pdf; url+hyperref; was Re: [OS X TeX] Correction and Misc

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sat Mar 3 17:19:57 EST 2007

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 3 mars 07 à 20:57, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :
>
>> 3. Similarly, a test file with hyperlinks goes trough Typeset, but none of
>> the hyperlinks in the pdf file works. And the console in TeXShop lists
>> warnings.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> \usepackage[unicode,bookmarks,colorlinks]{hyperref}
>
> You need to call hyperref with the [dvipdfm] option.

Yes, this works: thanks.

> In my experience using dvipdfm produces smaller PDF files, due (among other
> optimizations I think) to better compression of the fonts. Alas, for the very
> same reason, the PDF files take also longer to print: when I print the output
> of pdfTeX or tex + dvips + ps2pdf on LaserJets 4050 or P3500N at work, it's
> practically a continuous flow of paper from the printer, i.e. printing is
> practically instantaneous; when I print the output of dvipfm, each page takes
> between 30 s and 1 mn to print, which generally makes my workmates unhappy.

This is good to know.

> Other than that, I think it's always advisable to minimize the number of
> intermediate steps between two formats (like .tex and .pdf): with pdfTeX, the
> conversion is immediate; with tex + dvipdfm, there's one intermediate step
> (but compatibility with XeTeX, for example, and I think additional functions
> for CJK languages); with tex + dvips + ps2pdf, there are 2 intermediate
> steps. Accordingly, I see no reason to stick with dvips unless you have to:
> specifically, in case you include raw PS code in the TeX output, for example
> if you are using pstricks.

I already have some files with tree drawings that use dvips. Writing that
tex code took serious amount of time of me, and now, I simply do not have
time to try re-writing them with other packages. For some of these trees,
dvips (or pastricks) give the best graphical arrangement of nodes with
complicate labels. And in some cases, it is easier to recycle
existing code to get similar new tree drawings (but sometimes it's better
to start anew). In any case, for awhile, I will have to stick with
latex + dvips + ps2pdf

Roussanka