[OS X TeX] tipa

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 08:37:24 EST 2007

Le 8 mars 07 à 14:03, Manuel Souto Pico a écrit :

> You are absolute right. Checing the manual is what I should have done.
> My apologies.
>
> I didn't because I assumed that using the Unicode package I would be
> able to use the IPA characters directly without need of ASCII
> shortcuts (as I do when I write in Russian script or whatever).
>
> The right thing to write is indeed \textipa{O} to get a ɔ.

The kind of behaviour you're looking for is precisely what is offered
by XeTeX: direct UTF-8 input, and direct use of 0S-X-installed fonts.

I know nothing about IPA alphabet myself, but I think some hints have
been given about it on the XeTeX mailing list <http://tug.org/mailman/
listinfo/xetex>.

>> BTW: ctt would be a better place to ask, as this question has
>> nothing to
>> do with the Mac.
>
> What is ctt?

I suppose this is the comp.text.tex newsgroup. I practically never
used it myself, but Google offers a convenient interface avoiding
having to set up a newsgroup reader beforehand <http://
groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/topics?hl=en>.

Bruno Voisin