[OS X TeX] Re: [TxMt] LaTeX fonts (psgreek)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Mar 8 17:54:21 EST 2007

Am 08.03.2007 um 19:02 schrieb Charilaos Skiadas:

>> I'm trying to set up the psgreek package.  While I have moved all
>> the files in the package to the correct directories, I'm not sure
>> how to tell TeX to use the new fonts.  The package documentation
>> suggests three ways to do this: (1) editing the file .../textmf/
>> web2c/updmap.cfg (adding the line "Map psgreek.map"); (2)
>> editing .../texmf/pdftex/pdftex.cfg by adding "map +psgreek.map"';
>> (3) editing .../texmf/vtex/config/pdf.fm and adding "cm-super.ali"
>> to the TYPE1 section.
>>
>> I don't see any of these files on my system.  I'm wondering if I
>> should be looking somewhere else for these files or I should
>> create them from scratch.  I'd also appreciate any advice on which
>> of these three methods to use (if it makes a difference).

The usual way to reach the aim today is, after installing (putting)
the files into the right places:

	sudo texhash (or sudo maketexlsr)
	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --enable Map=psgreek.map

The last line should put the PS Greek MAP file fragment into the MAP
files for use with dvips, dvipdfm, or pdfTeX.

(The third example is for a commercial TeX system VTeX, which runs on
OS/2, AFAIR. The first two examples are meant for pretty old systems.
Can you imagine to use UTF-8 encoded files and an up-to-date XeTeX/
XeLaTeX? This TeX system uses the computer's fonts and you can
typeset in real Greek.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9