[OS X TeX] Totally OT: PostScript maze

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Mar 19 17:39:21 EDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 18:27, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> This is absolutely unrelated to TeX. But given there are expert
> PostScript programmers posting occasionally here (Ross?), I thought
> they might be amused by the following link:
>
> <http://micah.cowan.name/2007/02/13/computers/postscript-is-amazing/>
>
> That's a PostScript file which is actually a program, generating a
> random maze each time it is opened (like in Preview, or TeXShop). How
> the program works is beyond my understanding

Basically PostScript is a postfix (like your HP calculator) programming
language.

The NeXT used to come with Display PostScript as the display and print
language. Being a full PS interpreter it meant you could write programs
that ran in the display environment. One of the nicest was a sort of
translucent fish that swam accross your screen.

Of course, the act that they had the full PS there and full PS includes
file operations and since the window server was running as root, there
was a slight security hole ;-) initially, that is.