[OS X TeX] Totally OT: PostScript maze

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Mar 20 07:25:43 EDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> The NeXT used to come with Display PostScript as the display and
> print language. Being a full PS interpreter it meant you could
> write programs that ran in the display environment. One of the
> nicest was a sort of translucent fish that swam accross your screen.

Hmm, missed that one.

I used to use it to extend Altsys Virtuoso's strokes and fills ---
had one which was an improvement of one written by Olav Martin Kvern
which would print the length of a line --- by contrast now one has to
either get a drawing tool w/ direct support for such (Canvas) or get
a plug-in (CADtools for InDesign).

> Of course, the act that they had the full PS there and full PS
> includes file operations and since the window server was running as
> root, there was a slight security hole ;-) initially, that is.

As an example of that, Frank Siegert had a .ps program which would
reprogram a NeXT system to play a sound whenever a certain sequence
was typed ``batman'' I think it was.

William
(who has a copy at home of David Ahl's book on computer games which
was mentioned in the web page in the first post....)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.