[OS X TeX] APA citation style

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu Mar 22 15:11:35 EDT 2007

Salvatore,

On 22/03/2007, at 6:04 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 11:51 PM -0500 3/21/07, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> At our department we are asked to use APA citation style for all
>> our papers.
>>
>> My vanilla citation style is produced using TeXShop with
>>
>> \bibliographystyle{plain}
>> \bibliography{miabibliografia}
>>
>> I do not have the file apacite.sty on my computer.

If you don't have it installed you can put the file apacite.sty into
the same directory as your document. LaTeX will find it there. That
is the easy short term answer. You could also put it into your local
tex directory or the laTeX directory where all the other style files
are put. If you do this you will need to type:
sudo texhash
into a Terminal. This will update the various databases LaTeX uses so
it will know where you put apacite.sty.

Actually, adding style files is pretty painless once you have done it
once or twice.

> TeX Live does have apacite, but unless you are sending things to an
> APA journal, it's probably not worth dealing with.  A better
> solution is to use natbib and the apalike.bst file, which are part
> of gwTeX and TeX Live.  This will produce APA style references that
> will probably satisfy all but the most picky.
>
> so:
>
> \usepackage{natbiib}
> \bibliographystyle{apalike}
>
> \bibliography{miabibliografia}

I am in the same situation as Salvatore. Our university requires that
all papers are submitted in APA format. apacite is easy to use,
although there are some gotchas - it has poor support for hyperref
and urls need to be added as notes (url is not recognised).

Do not use apalike or apa. These are deprecated. Only apacite
conforms to APA 5th.

I would strongly recommend that you use TeXLive. Anything you are
likely to ever need is in there and the installer will pick your cpu
type when you install (PowerPC or Intel) then install the right
binaries for it. Installing onto a Mac is really, really easy. In a
Terminal window:

cd /Volumes/TeXLive-2005     (I am still using that one until my new
disks arrive)
sudo ./install-tl.sh

enter your password at the prompt

Type i at the prompt. Have a cup of coffee and wait.

Alan