[OS X TeX] Lyx converter error - help please!

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Tue Mar 27 11:55:08 EDT 2007

> apologies - I first started using Macs yesterday! I'm a PhD student,

Good evidence that all that studying is paying off. :-)

> so I've been trying to get Lyx working first so that I can continue
> writing my thesis on my new computer.
>
> I first installed the big mactex package from here:
> http://tug.org/mactex/
> I then installed Lyx before using the terminal to install the
> latest version of aspell to use as a spellchecker.
>
> My main problem now is:
> whenever I try to use ps2pdf, DVI  or anything that involves
> converting .png to .eps I get an error saying that Lyx does not
> have a converter to do this!  The only view option I can get to
> work is the pdflatex command.

I suspect there is a path problem.  Go to LyX -> Preferences.  Click
on "Converters", the second-to-last entry in the window on the left
side of the dialog box.  In the window to the right of the leftmost
window, click on "Postscript -> PDF (ps2pdf)".  In the "Converter:"
field to the right that window it should say something like "ps2pdf $
$i $$o".  ps2pdf comes installed in /usr/local/bin in OS X, so you
need to make sure that that directory is in your path (google "set
path OS X" for details); alternatively (and perhaps preferably in
this case), give the full pathname in the "Converter:" field, i.e., "/
usr/local/bin/ps2pdf $$i $$o".

Just curious: Why is pdflatex not enough for you?  Are you using EPS
graphics in your thesis?

Chris Menzel