[OS X TeX] Unix expert help needed

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 24 06:04:58 EDT 2007

Le 24 mai 07 à 07:24, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> Certainly not trivial to me. I asked how to get rid of
> the .DS_Store files (among other things --- do you really have
> anything more than the .DS_Store files?) in a directory on this
> list a while back too! I made a shell script I called cleands_store
> that contains
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # remove .DS-Store files recursively
> find "$1" -type f -name .DS_Store -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> (don't; forget the final return!), made it executable by running
> the command
>
> chmod 755 cleands_store
>
> and placed it in ~/bin/ (create that directory if necessary). Then,
> when I want to clean out the .DS_Store files from a directory (and
> any sub-directories, recursively) I run
>
> ~/bin/cleands_store full/path/to/directory
>
> and it just gets done.

Thanks for that, this script seems quite useful (avoiding to navigate
through the directory hierarchy and erase manually all .DS_Store
files, which is what I had been doing until now).

However, .DS_Store files are not the only little peskies to get rid
of: when Mac files include resource forks, these forks appear as
additional "." files IIRC on Windows and Linux. I just witnessed that
yesterday opening on a colleague's Windows 2000 computer a directory
created on my Mac.

Is there a way of getting rid of these resource files before creating
the archive of a directory, to be used afterwards on a Linux or
Windows computer? Or are resource forks automatically discarded when
creating a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 archive?

I imagine resource forks are included in .zip archives, given the
Finder's menu item File > Create Archive creates precisely .zip
archives.

Bruno Voisin