[OS X TeX] fonts in leopard

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 3 09:05:16 EDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> i hate to say it... but one word comes to mind... PDFKit. That
>>> seems to me to be the common divisor for all but Adobe Reader
>>> and, supposedly, that works. Have you made sure that the fonts
>>> are actually included in the file?
>>
>> I'd try using Font Book to verify all of your fonts.  It sounds
>> like ATS is choking on a bad font.  You could also try a new user
>> account, assuming you don't have custom fonts installed in /
>> Library/Fonts.
>

> I would also delete your font caches (there are a number of tools
> that will do this, just search VersionTracker; you can also do so
> in the Terminal). When this happens to me, deleting font caches has
> always fixed the problem (at least under Tiger -- it hasn't
> happened to me with Leopard).
>
> -- Gary

Howdy,

Ooops... I jumped to a conclusion before its time.

Can we make general rules?

Symptom: PDF display is uncertain since various glyphs aren't
displayed properly and which ones varies with each display.
Solution: Cleaning out Font Cache(s) usually solves this problem.
This can be done via the Command Line or through several GUI utility
applications (e.g., Tiger/Leopard Cache Cleaner, Onyx, etc.).

Symptom: Files have the wrong icon, are opened by the wrong
application and/or the same application appears multiple times in
Open With... list in the Contextual Menu.
Solution: Have Launch Services rebuild its data base (a cache of
sorts too). This can also be done via the Command Line or using GUI
applications (e.g., Onyx, etc.). I've occasionally run into
situations where I've had to force a rebuild more than once before
things cleared up.

Under Tiger and Leopard at least some of these Caches reside in
different locations so the program you use should be known to be
compatible with the OS version.

What other things can usually be cleared up tis way. I know that some
things can get ``fixed'' by clearing out possibly corrupted
preference files.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)