[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Nov 4 14:30:02 EST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 01:50 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.11.2007 um 02:21 schrieb Leah Berman:
>> When I have Maple in, say, space 3 and try to use the dock to
>> switch to it from space 1, it will switch to the Maple menubar but
>> not actually switch to the space
> Is any other application behaving like this? This warping would be
> a great feature! On Tiger I am using a different virtual desktop on
> which I have to select and move an application from one screen to
> another. Or close (minimise) it and re-open (maximise) it on the
> new desktop. Some application offer to open a new window on this
> other desktop when selected in Dock ... or to minimise! Then you
> can maximise and hopefully it opens on the active space!

I believe that this is the way that 'Spaces' works.  If your app is
both running and unassigned to a space, selecting it (either from the
dock or CMD-TAB) will bring its menu bar up, but no extant windows.
You can assign apps to specific spaces (or to "all spaces") in the
Spaces prefs panel.  If assigned, selecting a running app, or
launching it, will switch you to the assigned space.

There seems to be a bug in the assignment logic, though: assigning an
app to "all" doesn't seem to survive logout/reboot.  Don't know if
specific assignments have that problem.

Also, FWIW, if you use F8 to show all spaces, you can drag specific
windows between spaces.

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
I'm beginning to like the cut of his jibberish.