[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Nov 5 01:15:13 EST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 11:57 , Leah Berman wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2007, at 2:30 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 2007, at 01:50 , Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>> Am 04.11.2007 um 02:21 schrieb Leah Berman:
[snip]
>> I believe that this is the way that 'Spaces' works.  If your app
>> is both running and unassigned to a space, selecting it (either
>> from the dock or CMD-TAB) will bring its menu bar up, but no
>> extant windows.  You can assign apps to specific spaces (or to
>> "all spaces") in the Spaces prefs panel.  If assigned, selecting a
>> running app, or launching it, will switch you to the assigned space.
> You may be right that that is how spaces works

I may be, but right now, that's not the way to bet :-}

> ---that's the behavior I get if TeXShop is running without any open
> windows, it turns out (which is a little annoying, actually, since
> I actually want to go to the space TeXShop's running in)---but I
> get this behavior when Maple has an open window. With TeXShop, if I
> don't have an open window and it's switched halfway into a space, I
> can create a new window and then it obligingly switches all the way
> into the space. With Maple, no such luck; I have to manually switch
> the space; I can't use the dock.
>
> (For what it's worth, if Safari is running with no open windows in
> space 1, and I switch to it from space 3, not only does it switch
> from space 1 to space 3, but it opens a new window for me.)

After my earlier reply, I fiddled around some more, and either my
short-term memory is *really* bad, or I can't get consistent behavior
from Spaces.

For example, with TeXShop (which I assigned to a space), the
following commands in Terminal:
   "open /Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app" -> Current space
   "open <.tex file that's been opened recently>" -> Assigned Space
    (this happens regardless of whether TeXShop is already launched)

   I did the following several times, while TeXShop was not running:
   "open <.tex file that has not been opened recently">
   The first time, I stayed in the Space where I was using Terminal,
    - I got a TeXShop menu bar in this space, but no document window
    - TeXShop showed the window was open.  Switching to its assigned
      space showed the open document window.
   Subsequent attempts switched to the assigned window.

With Adobe Reader not assigned to a space, if I "open" a PDF from the
command line, the app will open the document in the Terminal Window's
space.  If I then switch to a new space, with a terminal window
present, and open a different PDF, the app will show the document in
this new space.  Switching to the previous PDF (using Adobe Reader's
'Window' menu) switches to the space where it was originally opened.

If I launch TeXShop from the Recent Items menu, the menu bar shows up
in the space where I launched it.

If I launch SystemPreferences (also assigned a space) from the Apple
menu, I get "space warped" to the assigned space.  Moreover, when I
quit SystemPreferences (without doing much, in particular, not
switching away from that App), I get space-warped back to the space I
was in when I launched it.

All in all, I'm a bit perplexed.

And, this is probably way OT for this list :-}

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large