[OS X TeX] Version controls for LaTeX book production

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Nov 12 15:53:45 EST 2007

On 12.11.2007, at 20:37, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>

>> On 12.11.2007, at 17:22, André Bellaïche wrote:
>>
>>> Just a few naïve questions. How do you use Subversion? Via
>>> command line? By moving icons? For diff, do you need a large
>>> screen to display the files side-by-side? Is it freeware?
>>
>> svn is free and it comes by default as a command line tool. It's
>> pre-installed on Leopard and there are pre-compiled binaries for
>> earlier versions of OSX (for example: http://homepage.mac.com/
>> martinott/ ).
>
> Being on my break, I thought I would take a look even though, like
> Gratzer, my natural, quasi reactionary inclination is just to
> backup (with Retrospect too but what an immense drag!)
>
> Anyway, I clicked on Ott's My Subversion-1.4.4 Package, got a
> package, installed it and now I have no idea where the application
> is. Not that I care as long as it does not do anything to my TeX
> installation which I don't see how it could.

'which svn' in the Terminal will tell you where it has been installed.

> I was going to get to it when I read the next line:
>
> 	Also, learn the command-line basics.
>
> No way! I am terminally allergic to the terminal!
>
> and the next one
>
> 	Anyway, you won't be able to set up a server or repository with svnX.
>
> That did it for this install-impaired old man.

Just to make this clear: the binary you installed with Martin Ott's
package and svnX are not really two different apps. svnX is really
only a GUI for svn, that means it wont run by its own, you need to
have svn installed (which you did with Martin Ott's installer). So
it's not really a question of using one or the other, svnX is just
another way of accessing svn which is a shell app.

> P.S. I also looked at  SCPlugin but chickened out real fast.

Same here, that's just yet another way of accessing svn.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"Was soll aus mir mal werden, wenn ich mal nicht mehr bin?" Robert
Gernhardt