[OS X TeX] Staying on the right PATH (or something)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Nov 15 06:45:49 EST 2007

Le 15 nov. 07 à 11:59, Morten Høgholm a écrit :

> Judging from the comment below in the Texmaker sources, the author
> wished for environment.plist too.
>
> #ifdef Q_WS_MACX //why the tex packages on macosx doesn't set the
> path to the latex programs in the Macosx path (environment.plist) ??
>
> I will contact him and see what we can do about it.

Please don't bring ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist back! This file has
been plaguing Mac OS X users for a long time, breaking things up,
yielding numerous bug reports and implying hours of tedious debugging
on this list and elsewhere.

This is because any change introduced via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
affects all GUI applications, whether they are compatible with this
change or not. When you're a developer and you know exactly what
you're doing, using this feature is fine. But for the average user,
this means an application is a bad citizen, modifying ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist upon installation and hence endangering the whole
proper operation of Mac OS X just for its own sake.

Getting rid of ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist has taken years of heated
debate on this list, for these TeX-related applications which were
initially relying on it (like Mac/LyX, or Enrico Franconi's Emacs
Enhancer). Please don't bring it back.

Quoting some past messages from Gerben Wierda:

- From <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2005-May/

- From <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2006-April/021702.html

- From <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2006-November/025923.html
 >:

> I recall only one case where the system was disrupted. This was when
> someone had installed the libpng i-Package (in /usr/local) and had
> set a dynamic library loading flag in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.
> As a result of this setting in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, the
> Finder wanted to link to the PNG library in /usr/local and this
> failed.
>
> Personally, I would classify this as one of the dangers of using
> environment.plist. The same problem would have occurred if you had
> downloaded and installed libpng from source with "configure" and
> "make install" (or whatever default mechanism libpng uses)

Bruno Voisin