[OS X TeX] LaTeX presentations in full screen - avoiding Adobe Reader

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Mon Nov 19 06:05:12 EST 2007

> Same here.  Adobe Reader is a bit bloated but does the job for me.
>
> --Matt
>
> On Nov 16, 2007, at 9:15 AM, Josep M. Font wrote:
>
>> El 16/11/2007, a las 12:57, Luis Sequeira escribió:
>>
>>> have for a long time wished I could do without Adobe Reader.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be instructive to others that you explain the
>> drawbacks of Adober Reader. I use it with beamer-produced
>> presentations and did not notice any problems. With version 8, that
>> is.
>>
>> JMaF

Being bloated is one of the reasons why I'd like to avoid it.
The fact that it does not behave as a good citizen is the biggest
one... always popping up windows telling me to update (often as I am
in front of an audience...); and stealthily installing its stuff in my
login items is yet another example of bad behavior.

I have been experiencing an excruciatingly long time from login to
having a functional desktop - often over one minute, and that on a
MacBook Pro 2.33 with a clean install of Leopard. Guess what the
culprit was?
A login item that adobe reader installed without asking! This has
happened before, and as I recall one has to go through an undocumented
hack to prevent it from happening again - i.e. it is not enough to
disable some preference (which should not be set by default,
anyway...). These is one kind of unacceptable mischief that I would
like not to put up with.

The fact remains that for more or less full support of the pdf
features it is likely to remain the only choice (though often it is
behind the windows counterpart).

On the other hand, even Apple's Keynote has the bad habit of disabling
command-tab when in full screen - that, at least, Adobe Reader gets
right. If only TeXShop did not follow Keynote on this one...

Luis Sequeira