[OS X TeX] Exclude directory from search path?

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 29 12:49:05 EST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:36 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 29.11.2007 um 14:35 schrieb Matthew Leingang:
>>
>>> So is there a good way to search by default the contents of ~/
>>> Pictures but not the not the contents of ~/Pictures/iPhoto
>>> Library/? or otherwise speed this up?
>>
>> Try 'texdoc graphics' from the command line and look up:
>> \graphicspath{dir-list}. I think Alain Schremmer on this list has
>> reported some details of his success with his magnum opus. Should
>> be available in the archive. Last year, I think ...
>
> What? Me? Success? No way!
>
> Aside from this, though, I am not sure I understand Leingang's
> question.

Sorry to be confusing.  I know how to put ~/Pictures// in the search
path so that any image I have in that directory or its subdirectories
can be included in a TeX document.

The problem is, I *don't* want to search ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/
since it slows down the compilation and I wouldn't include directly
from that directory anyway.

> In any case, here is the only thing I did that might be relevant:
> Along with the other style sheets, I have a MygraphicsPaths.sty  in
> which there is just:
>
> 	\graphicspath{
> 		{../Reviews/CurrentI/Figures/}
> 		{../../Reviews/CurrentI/Figures/}
> 		{../../../Reviews/CurrentI/Figures/}
> 		{../Figures/Chapters/013/}
> 		{../Figures/Exercises/013/}
> 		{../Figures/Tests/013/}
> 	}

It sounds like the method that Alain used before is something I
thought of: add the directory and all desired subdirectories,
omitting the one I don't want to include.

The drawback is that if I create new subdirectories of ~/Pictures I
have to rewrite this bit of code.  That was something I wanted to
avoid.  I was hoping for a prefix or suffix to a directory that would
exclude it from searching, so I could add all of ~/Pictures and
subtract ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/.

But thanks for sharing your solution.

--Matt

--