[OS X TeX] Textures (Universal binary) is now in beta

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Tue Sep 4 16:40:06 EDT 2007

Le 4 sept. 07 à 21:39, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

<snip>

> It's actually a matter of taste: for the sake of GUI consistency, I
> prefer one single integrated application to several smaller
> applications cooperating with each other. TeXShop does a very good
> job in this respect, by hiding completely from the user the fact
> that it is calling several separate applications behind the scene
> (pdftex, dvips, gs, xetex, xdv2pdf, xdvipdfmx, ...), and providing
> a single integrated front-end to all of them; and TeXShop's GUI is
> indeed quite close to that of Classic Textures.

Actually TeXShop's interface has a lot of the features I would have
loved to see implemented in Textures (and still do). Keeping fingers
crossed...

> But, for this very same reason, when using Textures or TeXShop, it
> seems more natural to use either one or the other for everything
> (editing, typesetting, previewing, printing). That's why, as a
> Textures then TeXShop user, I've never considered external editors
> seriously.

Same here. I merely suggested it as a stopgap. Still keeping fingers
crossed ;-) As a matter of fact, the current interface reminds me of
what was around versions 1-1.2...

> Probably that attitude goes back to my original first experience of
> computer use, which for several months was with the original Mac OS
> Finder (meaning only one application opened at any given time),
> before MultiFinder was invented (meaning several applications
> opened simultaneously).

I remember this era. The other thing that springs to my mind was
equating copying a disk and having fun with a toaster...

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)