[OS X TeX] Re: Hide temporary files created by TeXShop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 18 07:16:28 EDT 2007

Markus S schreef:
>> The solution then is probably to reorganize your project: Make sure that
>> chapters are in their own sub-directories, and don't use \include, use
>> \input instead. This removes that ability to use \includeonly, but
>> prevents the creation of an aux file for each included file, reducing
>> clutter considerably.
>
> Subfolders is sooo Windows. Really, I have noticed that I use much less
> subfolders than my Windows colleagues. Since Tiger, the search box in
> all Finder windows is my way of finding stuff quickly. That and sort by
> most recently modified. A folder structure makes is harder to modify
> code as your code depends on your folder structure and vice versa.
> Change one and you have to change the other.

Then stop complaining that your Finder windows are cluttered. A logical
structure keeps things much clearer in my experience.

>> As for your bst file: put all bibliography related files in a separate
>> folder ('bibliography'), and put a symbolic link to your bst file in
>> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst, and a link to your bib file(s) in
>> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib. You can now run bibtex on the aux files
>> alone
>> (where ever they are). Just remember to put the .bbl file in a location
>> where TeX will find it (next to your main tex file will do fine.
>
> Does this work if you use different .bib and .bst files for different
> documents?

I can advise you to maintain a single (set of) bib file(s) for all your
documents. You can separate by subject, but it is unwise to separate on
the document you are writing.

As for bst files: name them after the journal you are using them for, but
choose on that in your latex file.

>> Related: you may be able to create a smart folder that contains all you
>> would like to see, and not mess at all with your TeX workflow. The
>> latter
>> makes it a lot easier to set up.
>
> I had used this in other coding environments, usually typing .tex (or
> .bib or .eps or .pdf) in the Finder search box is more flexible (or
> cmd-F, select Name and Ends With).

A smart folder (or saved search) is actually an XML file with a search
string in it. Quite a powerful search string actually, much more so than
the Finder interface reveals to you. With this you can show all tex and
pdf and bib and bst files in a given directory.

Maarten