[OS X TeX] Some thoughts about editors

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Sat Sep 22 03:23:14 EDT 2007

Le 22 sept. 07 à 04:02, Richard Seguin a écrit :

>> You might take a look at TextMate:
>>
>> http://macromates.com/
>>
>> I tried it briefly (a year or two ago) and while it is an amazing
>> editor, at the time, the learning curve to use it with LaTeX was
>> more than I was willing to climb. I suspect things have improved
>> substantially since then.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Gary

Now it's the best (for me) editor perhaps, but some features of
Texshop , TextMate could be still better. For LaTeX TextMate + Skim
is the good combination.

> I tried TextMate a while ago, and discovered an annoying problem
> with their color syntax code.

There are annoying problems with  a lot of complex syntax code.
perhaps you did not choose a good them, and actually the syntax is
improved.

> If it encountered an expression like ``xxxxx" it would color
> everything thereafter with a single solid color.

It's possible  but with a good syntax coloring yoyou can your own
errors of laTeX syntax.

TextMate is not only an editor for LaTeX and the LaTeX Bundle,  TM
depends on the community which works with latex and which propose
improvements.

For example, now we have a syntax for files .log and to have a syntax
coloring for that it's very usefull

Firstly you need to have a good grammar (syntax) and a good theme for
the syntax coloring.

Actually, I develop a theme only for LaTeX and a  Bundle for users
who build classes (.cls) and packages (.sty) and this is very useful
to work with these tools.
It's not very easy but you make everything that you want and change
what you want.

Regards