[OS X TeX] hyperref and apacite

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Apr 5 04:25:59 EDT 2008

On 5 avr. 08, at 09:09, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Moreover, the paths suggested for .bib and .bst files are
> wrong: .bst files go to tex/bibtex/bst and .bib files to tex/bibtex/
> bib.

An add-on regarding this remark: here are three ways to check for such
things, by decreasing order of convenience:

(1) Browse the content of the various texmf trees inside /usr/local/
texlive/2007 in the Finder, to see how things are organized. That's
usually what I do first. /usr/local/texlive/2007 can be accessed
through Go to Folder (Cmd-Shift-G), but also more straightforwardly
as /Library/TeX/Root.

(2) Use the kpsewhich utility in Terminal, as in (after minor
editing), where $ denotes the prompt:

$ kpsewhich --show-path=.bib --progname=bibtex | tr : '\n'
$ kpsewhich --show-path=.bst --progname=bibtex | tr : '\n'

As I'm writing this, I realize a shorthand to "kpsewhich --show-path"
is also offered as kpsepath, so you can replace in the above

kpsewhich --show-path=.bib --progname=bibtex
kpsewhich --show-path=.bst --progname=bibtex

kpsepath -n bibtex bib
kpsepath -n bibtex bst

or even just

kpsepath bib
kpsepath bst

For an explanation of the working of kpsewhich, see section 3.5 of /
usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/doc/kpathsea/kpathsea.pdf or open its man
page. For kpsepath, open its man page. And of course there's also
"kpsewhich -h" and "kpsepath -h".

(3) Study the intricacies of the TDS (TeX Directory Structure) in /usr/
local/texlive/2007/texmf-doc/doc/english/tds/tds.pdf. Not for the
faint of heart!

Bruno Voisin