[OS X TeX] Automatic labeling for references

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Apr 5 11:04:06 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2008, at 10:18 PM, David Watson wrote:
>> Good grief!
>>
>> I would never EVER use a random label number. The whole purpose of
>> using labels and references is to make it memorable.
>
> That's if you still have a functioning memory. Mine is fading fast.
>
>> \label{eulersformula} is WAY more memorable than
>> \label{x89237kjalsdfi134}
>
> Er, I can't remember whether I had EulerFormula, eulerformula,
> Eulerformula, Euler_formula, etc .I am going crazy!

Create a Macro that contains

%:#SEL#
\label{#SEL#}

and save it as Set Label (or something like that. When you want to
enter a new label write out the label, e.g.

Eq:MyEquation

then select it and run the Macro. You'll end up with

%:Eq:MyEquation
\label{Eq:MyEquation}

so the label will show up in the Tags drop down menu. You can also
assign the Macro to a keyboard shortcut to make it a bit quicker. The
only thing that slows you down here is the need to select the label
name before running the Macro.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)