[OS X TeX] Shadows of pdf in Keynote

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Sun Apr 6 17:24:32 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Jens Noeckel wrote:
> []
>
>> reading this, I tried it out on my Leopard machine, with Keynote 3
>> (I have Keynote 4 on a Tiger machine that I use predominantly).
>> And of course, as Martin said, the copying from Preview is totally
>> messed up.
>
> Jens' python script using ghostscript works indeed.
>
> I had a look inside the pdf files and I think I found the point
> where things go wrong. It is in fact an ugly conspiracy between
> Leopard's Preview and Keynote, and both are to blame. Here is the
> story:
>
> The select tool in Preview introduces some additional dimensions
> into the document. The page size is always described by /MediaBox,
> and the select tool introduces /CropBox, which corresponds to the
> dimensions of the selected area. Then there are sometimes /BleedBox
> and /TrimBox which  are unimportant. However, Leopard's Preview
> introduces additionally /ArtBox and this is where things go wrong.
> It sets the /ArtBox dimensions to the page size, and Keynote
> wrongly uses /ArtBox instead of /CropBox to decide which part of
> the copied pdf to show.
>
> The workaround is to remove the /ArtBox definition from the pdf
> that will be pasted, or to set the /ArtBox dimensions to those of /
> CropBox. Running Jens' gs script removes /ArtBox (In addition, the
> script says some other rather unfriendly things about the
> correctness of Apple's idea of pdf specs.)
>
> BTW, copy-paste from TeXShop does not introduce any of these /
> CropBox or /ArtBox definitions.
>
> --
> Martin

Hi again,
too bad that such a seemingly small change in Preview's file format
causes so much trouble. Let's hope that this work-around won't be
needed for long.

In any case, I've put the script into an AppleScript bundle that
should be very easy to install. That way, one only needs a single
additional mouse click after copying from Preview, to get a fixed PDF
before pasting into Keynote (assuming the Scripts menu bar item is
enabled).
The file and installation instructions are at the following URL:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~noeckel/PreviewLeopard.html

The script should run on any Leopard system provided it has
ghostscript installed.

Regards,
Jens