Re: [OS X TeX] Re: ``/usr/texbin/pdflatex´´ does not exist

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:44:33 EDT 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 10:56 AM, M A wrote:

> installing the tex distribution pane
> stuff may also go against the philosophy of trying to keep macports as
> self-contained as possible
> and trying to avoid installing things outside of /opt/local.

Now here I must protest loudly:

As I think many people on this list know, I am prototypically install-
challenged. As such,

I will have no truck with anything about paths, etc as I have an
abject fear of the terminal.

  But I do very occasionally go into preferences because every one
knows that, there, everything is reversible, one cannot cause a
disaster.

So, and even though I have only TeX installation, and the very
minimal one, namely Wierda's one, and no intention to change, I have
absolutely no problem having TeX Distribution among my System
Preferences.

In fact, knowing that, should I have trouble with my current
installation, I could try another one without getting rid of this one
gives me a good feeling.

So, let's drink to the philosophers who say "let them have choice".
Any other "philosophy" in this regards implies that people are idiots
and/or that someone "knows better and is thus entitled to run your life"

Regards
--schremmer

P.S. Sorry for the outburst but I do mean it.