[OS X TeX] Installing TeX for 1st Time

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Apr 20 23:26:16 EDT 2008

At 10:50 PM -0400 4/20/08, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>On Apr 20, 2008, at 8:43 PM, Ron Olson wrote:
>
>>I got a new Mac and am trying to install TeX on my new MacBookPro.
>>I didn't know there were so many versions of TeX.  It looks like
>>the TeX software is already on this machine and am trying to figure
>>how to install it.
>
>The latter looks a bit confusing to me but, in any case, I am
>"install challenged" so I will leave this to others.
>
>>So, my first question is which TeX do I install?
>

>As far as that goes, it mostly depends on how adventurous you are
>and the sky is the limit. On the other hand, to get you started you
>might wish to read a piece I once wrote on the subject.
>
>http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schremmer/

Unfortunately, this is now a little out of date.

By far the easiest way to install TeX is to download the MacTeX
package.  Everything you need can be found here:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/

It's a big download, but a very easy install.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491