[OS X TeX] User Friendly LaTeX to HTML Converter?

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 28 18:56:39 EDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Richard J Benish wrote:

> At the beginning of the initial thread (LaTeX2html Basics?)
> concerning this topic I mentioned my desire to convert portions of
> a long paper to html. (That thread digressed a bit, so I started a
> new one.)

Dear Richard,

I can definitely understand your desire to do so.  But in case you're
flexible on the format, there are some other alternatives.

* Websites like scribd.com allow you to upload and share PDFs in a
snazzy Web 2.0 way.  It gives you a flash-based view of the document
that you can page through, and snippets of HTML that you can paste
into your web pages.  See

for an example.  You can even retain all the rights on whatever you
publish through them.

* You can just link to the PDF.  Google can search PDFs so you retain
a lot of machine-readability.  The majority of users use a browser
with an Acrobat Reader plugin so their experience is almost the same
as if the page were HTML.  (Not that I'm advocating doing whatever
the majority wants; I'm just saying that in my years of posting PDFs
to the web, nobody's asked me to please post an HTML version instead.)

Also, GELLMU <http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/> takes source
files written in a slightly-dumbed down LaTeX syntax and can create
HTML, XHTML+MathML, or PDF.    I don't know too much about it, but
I've always wanted to learn more.  This might not be the choice for
you since your paper is already written in standard LaTeX.

I think that people who do a lot of wholesale conversion from latex
to html use scriptable applications such as tex4ht, but even that
doesn't work 100% of the time.  And a GUI app is still only as good
as its backend.

Matthew Leingang

Matthew Leingang
Preceptor in Mathematics