[OS X TeX] security issue?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 00:29:49 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Brian Koontz <brian at pongonova.net> wrote:

> Question:  Are there any Mac apps currently hosted on the wiki that
> can be accessed from their primary source?  I'd suggest linking
> directly to these sources, rather than maintaining the file on the
> wiki (said file probably being outdated as we speak).

I agree with this. I definitely would not put anything available from
CTAN or from the author website by a very simple reason: not to
distribute obsolete files. This would be bad for downloaders and for
the author.

I think that only precompiled binaries are not available from the
other sources should be hosted. Not everyone has devtools installed
and sometimes compilation is a Russian roulette.

> A bit of Googling, for instance, tells me that Xy-pic is hosted on
> TUG, so why would we want to mirror what TUG already has for this
> package?
>
> (Granted, this is probably not the best example, as Xy-pic appears to
> be a package that doesn't contain an executable.  Still, why use
> bandwidth on files that are accessible via other repositories?)

I think that the bandwidth is not the main issue here but the
necessity to maintain the latest s/w.

Victor