[OS X TeX] security issue?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Aug 4 18:13:29 EDT 2008

Am 04.08.2008 um 04:16 schrieb Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD:

> I don't know his last name, suggested that uploads be limited to
> graphics only for fear of a malicious user uploading trojan horses.
> Only "trusted" users could upload zip, etc, files. Thoughts?

I don't see much sense in uploading executables – there exist links
(URLs) in Internet. Malware would be detected by ClamXav (http://
www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/) or its command line only version from
Fink. I'm failing to understand how trojans (greeks in reality) could
work in Mac OS X – isn't there Launch Service that dictates that only
a particular application (or a few, sometimes) is right for that type
of file? And ZIP (self-executable) and PDF (via JavaScript/ECMA
Script) can be malicious too. When thinking of the Apple Security
Updates from this year only: each filled once or twice a security
hole in a graphics format or a graphics application.

An UFS volume as upload area might be useful.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no place like 127.0.0.1