[OS X TeX] GNUPLOT on Mac

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 09:32:45 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 13.08.2008 um 06:57 schrieb Jean-Claude DE SOZA:
>
>> You need to build QGFE from sources; in order to you must have Qt
>> (version >= 3.1 and < 4.0) installed as mentioned here ( http://
>> www.xm1math.net/qgfe/ )
>

> In Mac OS X AquaTerm is the graphical interface to Gnuplot. Here it
> is: http://aquaterm.sourceforge.net. Nokia/Trolltech's Qt is still
> restricted to X11 on the Mac (although recently another alpha
> version of Qt 4.5 for Mac OS X was released, 64-bit only).
>
> I simply used Fink to install AquaTerm and Gnuplot.

Both can be simply installed from .pkg but, as I wrote, I then get

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib
   Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/gnuplot
   Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

which stops me cold.

The mere mention of Fink sends me running without even looking back.
Even with the GUI.

> OTOH, is Gnuplot really needed?

You are right: I don't need anything that fancy: right now, I need to
plot for my "kindergarden" students, say, x^-3, x^-2, x^-1, x^0, x^1,
x^2, x^3, x^4, say between -5 and +5.

What happened is that I had a working Qgfe, gnuplot, AquaTerm
installation under 10.3 and so, a year after I got under 10.4, I
automatically tried to re-install what I had had.

> Can't PSTricks/PDFtricks or PGF/TikZ, maybe in LaTeXiT, provide
> what is needed?

Absolutely! BUT:

—While I have been long intrigued by PGF/TikZ (I even read half of
the manual) … another soft to learn …

—As for Pstricks, I was very tempted by Pstplus, by Brachet who also
did Qgfe, the front end for gnuplot that I had used. See

	http://www.xm1math.net/pstplus/index.html

I am going to try to go that way but, for some vague reason, I
thought that Pstricks was going the way of the dodo. What do you think?

Regards
--schremmer