[OS X TeX] LyX or TeXShop?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 22:05:57 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

> LyX 1.6 has command completion too (if you want it). It also has a
> LaTeX source view (with syntax highlighting), so you never have to
> feel too far removed from the original LaTeX. But you can also
> forget about it, if you prefer. You can work with LyX as if it were
> a LaTeX editor (using LaTeX commands and macros), or as if it were
> a "word processor" (using mouse actions, menus). There are by now
> so many useful features of LyX that I would recommend it to anyone
> provided they have some very basic LaTeX knowledge.

As a colleague of mine once (in?)famously said, "you may be right but
I already made up my mind"

In general, though, it would be nice if the field of LaTeX editors
could be narrowed down to only the very few with totally incompatible
features, if any. Then it would be quite clear what to choose and
why. As it is, no one knows for sure what does what, why one has
chosen whatever and whether the choice was a good one to begin with,
etc, etc.

And then, I think that there is a huge duplication of effort which
would seem rather … inefficient.

Regards
--schremmer