[OS X TeX] LyX or TeXShop?

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Mon Dec 1 19:46:47 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> LyX?

>>> Regards
>>> -schremmer
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> No, TeXShop. That was a comment on the statement that TeXShop
>> ``requires that all TeX/LaTeX etc. code be entered by the user.''
>

> Ah! Command completion?
>
> I have yet to learn that but I did make up an awfully big number of
> macros which I use an awful lot.
>
> And, by the way, there is also the LaTeX panel.

LyX 1.6 has command completion too (if you want it). It also has a
LaTeX source view (with syntax highlighting), so you never have to
feel too far removed from the original LaTeX. But you can also forget
about it, if you prefer. You can work with LyX as if it were a LaTeX
editor (using LaTeX commands and macros), or as if it were a "word
processor" (using mouse actions, menus). There are by now so many
useful features of LyX that I would recommend it to anyone provided
they have some very basic LaTeX knowledge.

Jens