[OS X TeX] TeXshop quirk

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 8 18:09:47 EST 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Lantz Susan wrote:

> I am running TeXshop 2.18svn on an iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.11.
> About
> the time I updated to this version of TeXshop, the TeXshop icon
> disappeared from all my .tex files created with TeXshop. They are
> blank, like the .log and .aux files.
>
> All my .tex files were created on this computer, some before and some
> after I updated to this version of TeXshop. A few, however, may have
> been modified on my computer at work (a nasty Windows machine running
> Texmaker 1.7).
>
> When I check the file properties, all the files show TeXshop as the
> default application.
>
> Strangely enough, when I have created an alias for .tex file, the
> alias
> has the TeXshop icon. With one exception. That file, I know for
> certain,
> was created last fall, and it has not been anywhere near my computer
> at
> work.
>
> This quirk doesn't affect the way TeXshop runs. It just makes the
> files
> look...plain.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?
>
> Does anyone know what I can/should do to get my TeXshop files' icon
> back? (I have some older files that were created with Textures and for
> which I still use Textures, so I'd like to be able to tell at a glance
> which program a file uses.)
>
> Susan Lantz
>

> Susan A. Lantz, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
> Trine University
> Angola, IN 46703

Howdy,

The first thing to try is to do Get Info... on one of your TeX files,
change the default application and then change it back to TeXShop,
click on the change all...  button and agree to do the change.

More likely that the Launch Services database needs to be rebuilt. An
easy way to do that is to get the version of Onyx for you OS (Tiger,
in your case) and have it rebuild that database. This is especially
true if applications are listed multiple times in the Open With...
Contextual Menu item when you Right(Ctl)-click on a file. You can get
the version of Onyx for your system from <http://pagesperso-orange.fr/joel.barriere/
 >.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)