[OS X TeX] Install MacTex outside /usr/local?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 11 13:42:11 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Gorram Freak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to install MacTeX on my MacPro at work. However, I can't
> install in the default location because /usr/local is a symbolic link
> to a read-only network share.
>
> So, does anyone know a way to install (Mac)TeX in an alternate
> directory? The only way I've come up with so far is to install tetex
> via fink or MacPorts.
>
> Thanks,
> Arthur G

Howdy,

I don't think you can change the install location of MacTeX but I
think you can set the location if you install straight TeX Live
although I've never tried. You won't have that nice TeX Distribution
preference pane but any tetex distribution is way out of date and
tetex is no longer supported. I'm sort of surprised that MacPorts
hasn't updated their TeX distribution to TeX Live since it has been
several years since last updated.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)