[OS X TeX] Install MacTex outside /usr/local?

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Thu Dec 11 14:26:05 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 13:42, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Gorram Freak wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to install MacTeX on my MacPro at work. However, I can't
> > install in the default location because /usr/local is a symbolic
> link
> > to a read-only network share.
> >
> > So, does anyone know a way to install (Mac)TeX in an alternate
> > directory? The only way I've come up with so far is to install tetex
> > via fink or MacPorts.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Arthur G
>

> Howdy,
>
> I don't think you can change the install location of MacTeX but I
> think you can set the location if you install straight TeX Live
> although I've never tried. You won't have that nice TeX Distribution
> preference pane but any tetex distribution is way out of date and
> tetex is no longer supported. I'm sort of surprised that MacPorts
> hasn't updated their TeX distribution to TeX Live since it has been
> several years since last updated.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Yes, straight TeXLive can be installed in any location. I have installed
it (on Mac OS X) several times under /opt/texlive/<year>.

macports does have a texlive port, but it's still the 2007 one. It's
based on the OpenBSD port by Edd Barrett, so I suppose it will be
updated when/after the OBSD is.
--
Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at math dot fsu dot edu>
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University