[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Dec 13 05:53:07 EST 2008

Am 13.12.2008 um 06:26 schrieb George Ghio:

> Updated tlmgr with out a hitch.
>
> Now the problem. If I want to download a package from, say, the
> ctan catalogue, what do I need to put into the terminal to get the
> package?

No way! Tlmgr is meant to keep the TeX Live 20xy distribution up-to-
date. To install additional software you should download a "TDS
compliant archive" – whatever this is! I never did it, I never looked
for it. From descriptions I know that you can cd to the root of the
TeX distribution, for example the private ~/Library/texmf branch or
the revision independent /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local branch
(because otherwise tlmgr might find a problem with unknown
components), and then just unzip the archive. Its components will
automatically be distributed into the correct places. CTAN is
supposed to deliver these TDS compliant archives (and maybe also
"normal" ones, because the package authors should provide them with
their updates).

Maybe afterwards you can write something about your experiences for
the MacTeX wiki (http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.