[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

George Ghio gghi at bordernet.com.au
Sat Dec 13 07:03:20 EST 2008

Hi peter

Perhaps this would be the time to bring this up. Myself and many
others are not as computer literate as many here in these groups.
Therefore, while the answer to a question may well be "cd to the
root"  and while you may know the meaning of the answer, myself and
many others are bewildered. People learn in many and varied ways. Some
can learn by reading about the process while others must do the
process to gain the ability.

My first tex install was on a blue imac and to be honest, involved
more luck than skill, but it worked and I produced an ebook about
solar power design and installation. Even managed to sell several
hundred copies.

Second install was with some expert guidance from members in this
group. It worked and helped me get a pass with merit for my Dip.Art in
professional writing and editing.

This is my third install. How things have changed, it came with an
installer, magic stuff. And many thanks to all those that work in the
background to produce such exemplary soft ware.

For you, in your experience, the terminal may be the  benevolent angel
of mac harmony, but, for some of us, it is the gateway to the devils
lair. An example may help. Suppose that your favorite leather jacket
was torn. You go to a group on line and ask how to repair it and the
answer was "You need a pony, a stitching wheel, an awl and two
saddler's needles" and you are expected to deduce the skill of saddle
stitching.

Please, I need to do it to learn it. How do you "cd to the root" and
will it allow you to get package files in the correct places?

And yes, I hope to be able to produce a guide for rank beginners who
would like to use TeX but lack the skills to wrangle the terminal.

George L Ghio
Renegade Writing