[OS X TeX] On the "Typeset" menu

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 22 18:10:33 EST 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 4:07 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

>> In most cases you can probably do better by using the latexmk
>> engines supplied with TeXShop (or get the latest version as
>> Latexmk402bTeXShop218.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>)
>> since it will automatically run (xe/pdf)latex (depending upon which
>> engine you use), any necessary runs of bibtex and/or makeindex and
>> (xe/pdf)latex as many times as necessary to resolve cross-
>> references, etc. It works nicely with many packages that produce
>> multiple indexes, bibliographies, glossaries, etc., but may need
>> some help if you use non-standard extensions.
>
> What happens to the console output in this case? I always look through
> it and I've assumed that running latexmk is equivalent to running the
> tools by hand which would mean the console output was wiped before I
> had a chance to examine it. Is that correct?
>
> Thanks,
> cfr

Howdy,

TeXShop runs an engine as though it is a single application (which it
really is since it's an executable shell script) so you get the
complete console output of all the runs of all of the programs.

Hey, try it... if you don't like it don't use it.

When folks wonder if a certain package is part of MacTeX (TeX Live) I
usually tell them to try it; the worst thing that can happen is that
it fails and the package will have to be installed. I use a similar
philosophy in running anything that can't be destructive on the Mac.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)