[OS X TeX] Definitive font guide, please?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 23 13:00:02 EST 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 11:22 AM, David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., CFM wrote:

> I spent a few hours last weekend trying to work out how to use fonts
> other than the Computer Modern family in LaTeX. I found nothing
> definitive in the archives. Google wasn't much help either. I think
> it's time I learned something about using some of the other font
> families available to us.
>
> I tried the usual suspects, such as
>
> \usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
>
> and several variations on that theme. No joy.
>
> So, would someone point me to a definitive resource that a literate
> LaTeX user can understand? I'm not a complete n00b, but this is an
> area I haven't explored.
>
> Thanks all. This is a wonderful list.
>
> -=d

Howdy,

What TeX distribution are you using? If it's BasicTeX you are probably
missing many additional fonts. If it's MacTeX you should have quite a
few fonts.

What does ``No joy'' mean? Does the file compile without complaining?
What does the log file say?

Try the fourier package (uses utopia for the serif font and CM for the
rest).

Try the bera package (uses bera, bera sans and bera mono).

IU actually like the combination

\usepackage{fourier}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}

which uses utopia for serif, scaled berasans for sans serif and scaled
bera mono for monospace. The combination looks nice to my eyes.

You can also try the mathptmx package which uses Times for the serif
font. The combination

\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage{scaled=0.87}{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}

is the boring standard that many folks use; Times for serif, scaled
Helvetica for sans serif and Courier for monospace. If you have MacTeX
2008 (or TeX Live 2008) --- I don't know if it was part of earlier
distributions --- you can also scale the Courier using the couriers
package; I use

\usepackage[scaled=1.03]{couriers}

which is a slightly scaled courier for monospace.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)