[OS X TeX] [OT] pdftk on OS X

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Wed Dec 24 06:00:07 EST 2008

Hallo -

final report on pdftk, just for the archives. This is how I managed to
install the latest pdftk on my Mac with 10.5.6 as OS X and XCode
developer tools 3.1.2:

0) install the developer tools from apple if you did not do that before.

1) install fink. Do all the necessary initial updates of fink and the
fink-package list. Make sure that unstable packages are incuded

2) I had to update X11 from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.3.0

2) look for pdftk

3) install it from the source. A VERY time-consuming installation-
compile-??? process starts. Several other packages are installed as
well.

When all this is finished, check whether you see in Terminal something
similar:

macbook-daniel:~ daniel$ which pdftk
/sw/bin/pdftk
macbook-daniel:~ daniel$ pdftk -h
pdftk 1.41 a Handy Tool for Manipulating PDF Documents
Copyright (C) 2003-06, Sid Steward - Please Visit: www.pdftk.com

SCHNIPP - the website is a bit misleading. See the mactex-wiki

I checked all commands that are given as examples in the pdftk-help
and they work fine. Seems that installation/compilation/??? of pdftk
1.41 via Fink was successfull.

Thanks to Peter and the others for their help.

And "frohes Fest" -

Daniel