[OS X TeX] [OT] pdftk on OS X

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 24 12:01:54 EST 2008

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.12.2008 um 12:00 schrieb Daniel Becker:
>
>> 1) install fink. Do all the necessary initial updates of fink and the
>> fink-package list.
>
> You mean?
>
>     sudo fink selfupdate
>     sudo fink update-all

You don't need sudo. Fink does this automatically for you.

>> Make sure that unstable packages are incuded
>
> On Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4, pdftk 1.41 is also in stable ...
>

>> 2) I had to update X11 from
>> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.3.0

> Why? Pdftk is a command line tool, which will work without X11 ...

As you noticed, you need libwmf (windows metafile library) and libjasper
(jpeg codec) for building pdftk
<http://www.accesspdf.com/article.php/20041129180128366>
The Fink packages for both of these libraries depend on X11. Whether
this is really necessary, I don't know, but at least libwmf links with
quite a few X11 libraries.

Anyway, X11 comes with the system, and if Apple didn't put an X11SDK.pkg
into several versions of the Leopard developer tools that is
incompatible with the version of X11 they ship with the system, there
wouldn't be any problem using X11 for building libraries on Leopard. On
Tiger, there shouldn't be any.

The huge building block for pdftk is gcc42, which is needed for the java
compiler.

--
Martin