[OS X TeX] Voting on feature requests

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 8 13:56:32 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:22 PM, rhomunu-list at yahoo.fr wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I use TeXShop for years now, so that I recommend it to some people
>>> who switched to the Mac recently...
>>> But some of them (coming from Kile on Linux) ask for things I have
>>> never thought about:
>>> 1- is there a way to show the line number in the source file window?
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> This can't be done although you can go to a particular line using
>> the Edit->Line Number... command (Cmd-L). I believe this is a
>> feature request.
>
> Speaking of which, it seems to me it might be useful to have some
> kind of straw vote on this list on the desirability of certain
> features in TeXShop. After all, most TeXShop users probably read
> this list.
>

> In any case, on a scale from 0 to 5, here are my wishes which I am
> letter letter coding for simplicity of reference, if any.
>
> A—line number in the source file window (0)
> (I usually can figure out, one way or another where the error is
> but, yes, it would be nice if the Console could point at a line
> number. On the other hand, I mostly work with included files and the
> Console can't even point to the right file! So, while I think that
> the Console needs a lot of work, on the other hand, I don't think
> it's anywhere near being worth it.)

> B—font size in the source window (3)
> (I came very near last Summer to needing font size 24 or probably
> even more. On the other hand, by the time one gets to that point …)

Howdy,

Source window font size is already there. With the Source window
active choose Source->Font->Show Fonts (Cmd-K) and select the font and
size there. You can set the default size in TeXShop->Preferences-
 >Document->Document Font in a similar way.

> C—change Command I  from meaning Source > Font > Italic to a
> keyboard command for \emph  (5)
> (This on the basis that I use \emph infinitely more than Source >
> Font > Italic with which, by the way, there is an interesting bug I
> encounter whenever I hit Command I inadvertently, i.e. when I forget
> that I am in TeXShop.)
>
> D— change Command B from meaning Source > Font > Bold to a keyboard
> command for \emph  (1)
> (Mostly, though, on the basis of consistency with C.)

I fully agree here. It is possible, with the developer tools, to
easily remove those bindings; then you can make simple macros
(actually I think they already are defined on TeXShop) that do what
you want and assign the shortcuts to those macros. There is a
customized version of TeXShop I put together that does this but its
main feature is an extension to Command Completion.

> E—a way to collapse one or more sections' text (5)
> (For example collapse Section1 title - text, Section 2 title - text,
> Section 3 title - text to, for instance, Section 1 title - text,
> Section 2 title, Section 3 title - text.)

Would be nice.

> F—a Typeset button that does NOT save at the same time (5)
> (See "Save date-time,not Print date" thread.)
>
> G—Let the bottom of the source window be standard, with a horizontal
> scroll bar. (2)
> (If only to facilitate scroll down with a fully extended window. I
> am using a patch of TeXShop that someone—I am ashamed to say I can't
> recall who—wrote and mentioned on this list and sent me last summer.
> But also, occasionally to be able to scroll horizontally to edit,
> say, a long formula.)
>
> Well, that's it.
> (For the time being.)
>
> I would be curious to see what the people thinks.
>
> Hopeful regards
> --schremmer

I'd rather set the window size default so that there are a few pixels
below it than take many more pixels to have a ``status bar.''

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)