[OS X TeX] Imposing Latex on authors of articles

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Feb 26 19:06:43 EST 2008

On  26 Feb, 2008, at 08:58, ludwik kowalski wrote:

> [...]
>
> 1) Typing something without seeing the representation at the same
> time (as in writing by hand or with a word processor) seems
> unnatural to me.

Besides applications that Bruno Voisin already mentioned, there are
also the commercial products Publicon

http://www.wolfram.com/products/publicon/index.html

and Scientific Word/WorkPlace

http://www.mackichan.com/

of which I think a Mac OS version is coming soon. I haven't tried any
of those.

> 2) [...] papers written with word processors should be accepted by
> editors of scientific journals. Neatly handwritten formulas, or
> formulas composed with tools available in word processors, are
> usually sufficient to communicate mathematical ideas. They can be
> shown as illustrations,

No self-respecting publisher will do this.

> or turned into final form by professional typesetters

see below.

> 3) Creating Latex input files with formulas is very demanding and
> error-prone.

Here we are! If it is error-prone for the author, what about for the
typographer? She or he is a professional in typography, not, usually,
in Mathematics or Physics.

Best,

Axel