[OS X TeX] Imposing Latex on authors of articles

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:12:36 EST 2008

I agree with all the comments so far, but there are a couple of
things that have not been mentioned that to me make LaTeX infinitely
better to Word. At the danger of repeating what others have already
mentioned, I'll recap some of the conclusions:

1) Plain Text, Open format. Means the document will be around for
ever and ever. Nothing and noone can stop you from reading it.
2) Portability: The source looks the same in all platforms. The
output looks the same in all platforms.
3) Flexibility: Stems from the separation between content and
presentation. Advantages similar to HTML+CSS. You can focus on your
content, and worry about the presentation later, in a consistent
manner. Section headings are just that, they are not "bold 14pt
whatnot". Easy to adjust documents to editor's requests. Case in
point: I'm working on a 400 page book, which will resurface in later
points, and was using a certain custom document class. The publisher
sent me their style file, and I just \includepackage'd it, and
suddenly my 400 page document matched the specifications from the
publisher, with almost minimal work required by myself.
4) Reliable numbering of equations, sections, cross-references etc. I
don't see how anyone could live without it.
5) The ability to use a text editor, i.e. an application designed to
maximize your performance at writing text. (for example,
autocompletion of reference labels)
6) Immense power: If it can't be done in LaTeX, it can't be done.
7) Superb typography: If you care about how your document looks like,
then there's no contest.
8) Speed: Once you become familiar with it, being able to type math
formulas without having to remove your hands from the keyboard is a
considerable speed boost.

And now for some of the things I didn't see quite mentioned:
9) Good looking justified text. LaTeX actually gets the justification
right. Unless I am mistaken, the algorithm that LaTeX uses to decide
how it will adjust the spacing between any two letters, any two words
etc so that justified text looks right and has almost no word breaks
was what earned one of Knuth's students their Ph. D. (I would love to
be corrected/verified on that). The fact that Word  gets this wrong
has resulted in many people using (and being content with) non-
justified text, their argument being that you can't get justified
text to look right. Well, *in Word* you can't.
10) Works with revision control systems. For me this is a biggie. The
book I am working on is a 14 chapter monster, with about 400 images.
Leaving aside the sheer size of the resulting word document, and
consequently the fact that it crashed my father's computer/corrupted
itself more than once when it was still in Word, any such project has
two key aspects:
a) You need to know what has happened when and to be able to compare
different version of your document in time
b) You need to able to collaborate with other people, and communicate
your changes. Ideally, both parties should be able to work on the
same document at the same time.

The above two are possible when you combine LaTeX's plain text format
with a revision control system(RCS), like Subversion, along with the
wonderful latex-diff tool. Subversion (any RCS really), allows you
easily to see what has changed in all 14 chapters (different files)
of your document in the last, say, 2 weeks, and latex-diff allows the
creation of a pdf file that has the all differences very clearly
presented. And this WITHOUT me having to document the changes: I just
change the document, and when needed ask Subversion+latex-diff to
show me what is different between the current version of the document
and previous versions. I don't see how collaboration is possible
without this.

As for the second item, the two people can work on different portions
of the same document, and when they're done commit their changes to
Subversion, which then simply merges the two documents. This can be
done in plain text documents, but not in the kind of document that
Word produces. Again, I don't see how this could be done otherwise.
Last summer, three of us were working on a paper for PracTeX (http://
www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-3/skiadas-svn), me in Chicago, the second
author in Norway and the third in France. We were all working on the
same document simultaneously, and produced the final result in 3
days, using Subversion and Assembla. At the same time, our production
editor was also making changes. Altogether we made more than 140
commits in 3 days, all in the same file. There wasn't a single
conflict. I shudder to think how this would have been possible by
passing files and emails around instead of using a subversion
repository, especially given the vastly different time zones and the
time restrictions we were under.

11) BibTeX. What can I say? The ability to flexibly and quickly
customize how the bibliography a)looks at the end of a document, and
b) is referenced in the text, is indispensable. And again,
autocompletion of cite keys is essential.

12) Maintainability. This was sort of mentioned. It is much easier to
adjust/edit the LaTeX document, especially since text editors are
very good at that. But a couple of items of particular interest:
a) Ability to search and replace in all equations. Suppose you
decided that you did not want \phi but instead \varphi in the 600 or
so equations in your manuscript. In Word you have to change those
manually. In LaTeX it is a simple search and replace that would
probably take less than two minutes.
b) Ability to search and replace with regular expressions. This
allows a number of sweet things that I will not get into right now.
c) Macros: The ability to give new, meaningful, names to particular
parts of a math formula. This can save time in typing, make changes
later consistent and so on. For instance one of the things I always
do is define a command for \frac{\partial #1}{\partial #2}. But there
are probably tons of other examples. For instance, you decide how you
want the questions section at the end of each chapter to look like,
and create a custom environment for that. It is easy to customize
this environment later on, and it will change in every place it has to.

13) Automatic creation of TOCs, TOFs, indexes etc.
14) pgf/Tikz, and Beamer, not necessarily in that order. Enough said.

I could probably go on and on, but I probably better stop.
Haris Skiadas
Hanover College