[OS X TeX] Problem for installing new fonts in MacTeX (TeXLive2007-dev)

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Fri Jan 11 14:44:11 EST 2008

Le 11-janv.-08 à 16:36, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> Howdy,
>
> If you're the only user on your system, or you want to be the only
> user that can access the fonts, what you did will work fine.

I am indeed the only LaTeX user with this computer.

> Basically. you just created a personal map file which is now stored
> in your personal tree. TeX Live, by default, tries to create that
> tree in ~/.texlive2007/... and the directory texmf-config didn't
> exist so updmap complained. At least that's what I think happened.

But why then not using the ~/Library/texmf directory as default,
instead of ~/.texlive2007? I suppose that is what gwTeX does…

> A while ago I used to do a similar thing with gwTeX. There updmap
> and updmap-sys are synonymous and create the map files in the
> system level tree (and therefore must be run under sudo).

On my another computer I have configure gwTeX so that updmap and
updmap-sys still behave different.

> To do this with TeX Live you've GOT to use
>
> sudo updmap-sys ...
>
> instead.
>
> Finally, I've now gotten into the habit of installing fonts in the
> local system tree (i.e. in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/...) so
> all users can then use the fonts. I then run
>
> sudo texhash
> sudo updmap-sys enable Map newfont.map
>
> To do with your system now would require you to remove the
> installed map files from your personal tree first since kpsewhich
> will find those map files first. I've seen great confusion because
> of having multiple map files, etc.

That would do the trick too, but I find the installation in my
personal texmf tree easier, since you can use the Finder to move the
directories to their right place, without entering my password
repeatedly.

Thanks for the answer,

Franck Pastor