[OS X TeX] Problem for installing new fonts in MacTeX (TeXLive2007-dev)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 11 15:10:30 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Franck Pastor wrote:

> But why then not using the ~/Library/texmf directory as default,
> instead of ~/.texlive2007? I suppose that is what gwTeX does…

Howdy,

I believe that is retained so that TeX has a guaranteed writable and
retainable (i.e., it doesn't get cleaned out) place to place generated
tfm, etc., files from mp fotns when it needs them (e.g., with the
CMSuper fonts which use a MixedMap). It's internal structure mimics
that of the system tree. It was retained so you don't end up with
unexpected items in your personal tree.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)