[OS X TeX] %^M in Mac-produced .tex file

David Romano romanod at math.grinnell.edu
Wed Jan 16 14:44:49 EST 2008

A colleague sent me a  collection of files (produced in a Mac
environment) that make up a book he's writing, but I can't get my tex
setup to produce the right output.  I'm not exaclty sure where to begin,
but I'll try with this:  I'm on a linux machine reading his source file
for the first chapter in Emacs, and I find the entire file is in one line,
littered with %^M and ^M throughout.  This is very difficult to navigate,
and so -- assuming  that these characters must be some kind of end of line
characters from the Mac-- I removed one and created a newline, but then
TeX balked, claiming a $ was missing somewhere.

If I simply remove the ^M without introducing a newline, then all is well,
but the file is still humanly unreadable.  I'm loath to include any
snippets of the file since I don't know if I'll include the right one, but
if anyone has any insight into what is going on, it would be much

David Romano