[OS X TeX] Utopia Fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 19 07:40:28 EST 2008

Am 19.01.2008 um 12:19 schrieb Holger Frauenrath:

> Well, I understood from the fourier package description that it
> only supports 4 of these, and that you will have to buy the
> commercial fonts if you want to use the "expert" options. Is that
> wrong?

I don't know. I never had a problem – because I do not write so much
maths! My advice is to try out whether free Fourier does *not*
provide some symbol.

>> I don't think so. Mac OS X is not really supporting PostScript
>> Type 1 fonts. When they come wrapped into an OpenType (OTF)
>> format, then they will be useful.
>
> ... so what exactly are the "Mac Postscript Type 1" fonts which are
> sold by Adobe good for (except for being "misused" in LaTeX ;-)

Could be these are stale ads from the time when Mac OS X did not
exist. Could be the problem is with encodings! The Adobe standard
encoding of text fonts could be easily understood by Mac OS X, but
what is with the arbitrary encodings of TeX symbolic fonts or those
"expert encoding fonts?" Try to double-click a TeX symbolic or math
font to integrate it into the system (~/Library/Fonts). You could
also use one of the free ones from Fourier. Then try to set some math
with this font in Pages!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Kommt eine Termite in die Bar und fragt: „Ist eine Bedienung da?“