[OS X TeX] Fwd: no tex question

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 08:47:37 EST 2008

Here is what "info perllocale" gives me in the terminal (excerpt):

        LOCALE PROBLEMS

        You may encounter the following warning message at Perl startup:

                perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
                        LC_ALL = "En_US",
                        LANG = (unset)
                perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale
("C").

        This means that your locale settings had LC_ALL set to "En_US"
and LANG
        exists but has no value.  Perl tried to believe you but could
not.
        Instead, Perl gave up and fell back to the "C" locale, the
default
        locale that is supposed to work no matter what.  This usually
means
        your locale settings were wrong, they mention locales your
system has
        never heard of, or the locale installation in your system has
problems
        (for example, some system files are broken or missing).  There
are
        quick and temporary fixes to these problems, as well as more
thorough
        and lasting fixes.

You should probably read all of the info in "info perllocale" and find
out what needs to be remedied in your login scripts.
Something in one of those scripts is using perl, and some
environmental variables are misconfigured somewhere in your account.