[OS X TeX] current math fonts for TeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 26 11:09:56 EST 2008

Am 26.01.2008 um 15:42 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> Everyone of us has incredible wealth in the TeXLive directory of
> his hard disk, but no way of listing it. Somebody should write a
> guide to the TexLive directory. Or maybe does this exist already?

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/fonts

I have over 1,000 PostScript Type 1 fonts in TeX Live 2007. How many
years do you want to pay me that I write the whole story of all these
fonts?

Honestly, most of them are the PostScript versions of the common
METAFONT Computer Modern, Concrete, or AMS fonts. There is nothing
special with them just because they are not METAFONT. Maybe other way
around: the Lucida Bright METAFONT version is derived from the
commercial PostScript fonts.

Stephen Hartke's Free Math Font Survey and Scott Pakin's
Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List ('texdoc symbols-a4') are sufficient.
At least *I* have no idea what, or who, else needs to be mentioned.
Maybe Peter Wilson, who supplied so many archaic fonts? And why are
such questions asked? Does nobody lead a record of his or her
installations and changes to TeX Live, MacTeX, gwTeX, teTeX, or
whatever? If that's true, then a package manager like the MiKTeX
Package Manager mpm is needed.

What I can easily offer is a listing of all PostScript, TrueType, and
OpenType fonts in TeX Live 2007. Which will become obsolete in a few
weeks when TeX Live 2008 will be available ...

To learn the font names from the font files it's either possible to
list the contents of the MAP file or you read the first maybe dozen
lines of each font file. There you'll find copyright information,
font name, family name, and italic angle (plus some more). It's just
like providing us with a catalogue of the books and magazines of your
private library – without opening some items you won't be able to
tell everything.

--
Greetings

   Pete