[OS X TeX] missing symbols in mathptmx with pdftex

Nathan Sanders Nathan.Sanders at williams.edu
Mon Jan 28 22:43:15 EST 2008

Thanks for the reply (and also to Richard Koch for his off-list
reply).  I just updated Acrobat Reader to 8.1.1 and tried the same
PDF, and the summation symbol is still missing!  I've uploaded it to
the following URL:

I'm beginning to think there is something broken in our TeX
distributions, since it seems to be happening only to us (and I did
the installation on both our computers).  I find it bizarre, however,
that the symbol is missing in Acrobat, but not in Skim or Preview.  (I
don't find it bizarre that pdftex is doing something different than TeX
+Ghostscript, of course!)

The following is the console output that generates the bad PDF.  I
don't see anything unusual myself, but maybe someone more knowledge
can spot a problem:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, german, ngerman,
spanish, f
rench, italian, dutch, loaded.
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/psnfss/mathptmx.sty) (./
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/psnfss/omxztmcm.fd) [1{/usr/
eX/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./foo.aux) ){/usr/
Output written on foo.pdf (1 page, 4913 bytes).
Transcript written on foo.log.