[OS X TeX] Re: List of feature requests on this list

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jul 7 18:08:55 EDT 2008

On Monday, July 07, 2008, at 02:52PM, "Ross Moore" <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This is an interesting discussion that has ramifications beyond
>the editing phase of a TeX-constructed PDF.
>
>On 08/07/2008, at 3:49 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>> Skim allows one to take "snapshots" of a PDF and save them in a
>> sidebar. You can isolate one little part of the document and view
>> only that part; and the snapshots float on top of the main window.
>
>What I'd like is for one such floating window to be the target
>of cross-reference hyperlinks in the main PDF viewing window.
>That way you can check on the content of a cross-reference
>without changing the view that is being used to read the paper.

Skim does this when you command-click on a link in the PDF file.  It's quite handy for reading references.  It also tries to display a preview of the target when you hover over a link, but this has mixed results.

>Even better would be if the size of this "cross-reference spyglass"
>would resize automatically, adapting to the size of the material
>being referenced --- i.e., to the size of the rectangle associated
>to the destination anchor, as well as respecting its view attributes.
>
>That is, it could be a rectangle neatly encompassing a figure or table,
>changing to a squat wide rectangle for a referenced equation or
>citation.

Skim also does this, to some extent.  There are compromises with remembering window positions, and also limitations of what information is available from the PDF itself.

This is all in addition to the splitview feature that Adam G. mentioned previously.

--
Adam