[OS X TeX] Re: List of feature requests on this list

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jul 7 21:47:35 EDT 2008

Hi Adam,

On 08/07/2008, at 8:08 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Monday, July 07, 2008, at 02:52PM, "Ross Moore"
> <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> What I'd like is for one such floating window to be the target
>> of cross-reference hyperlinks in the main PDF viewing window.
>> That way you can check on the content of a cross-reference
>> without changing the view that is being used to read the paper.
>
> Skim does this when you command-click on a link in the PDF file.

Aaaah; yes. That's much better.
After a few of those, the hover effect works better too.

> It's quite handy for reading references.

Indeed.

> It also tries to display a preview of the target when you hover
> over a link, but this has mixed results.

Presumably there is a time-delay, probably related to
the need to render the entire document in memory,
before the extra windows and pop-ups can work smoothly.

>> Even better would be if the size of this "cross-reference spyglass"
>> would resize automatically, adapting to the size of the material
>> being referenced --- i.e., to the size of the rectangle associated
>> to the destination anchor, as well as respecting its view attributes.
>>
>> That is, it could be a rectangle neatly encompassing a figure or
>> table,
>> changing to a squat wide rectangle for a referenced equation or
>> citation.
>
> Skim also does this, to some extent.  There are compromises with
> remembering window positions, and also limitations of what
> information is available from the PDF itself.

Sure. Is there documentation anywhere about this?
The application Help doesn't give details of the
features, just basic "how to use" stuff.

I'd prefer the snapshot windows to have smaller frames,
whereas currently they are like full Macintosh windows.
Though the ability to minimize into the side-pane
is really neat. This allows the snapshots to be pushed
out of the way, yet still be easily recoverable.

> This is all in addition to the splitview feature that Adam G.
> mentioned previously.

Can the split views be associated separately
with the split views in the TeXshop editor?
I think that would satisfy the OP's request.

> --
> Adam

Cheers, and thanks,

	Ross